I wanted to thank you for your program. Honestly, when I saw that we were required to take it, I was frustrated, thinking I had better things to do with that hour, but I was pleasantly surprised to be very wrong. I have spent my academic career attending seminars and workshops about similar topics, but nobody has ever bothered to specifically address those of us in science careers. Your background in the sciences and ability to translate that into relevant advice and techniques for us was absolutely unique and invaluable.
I left the workshop with an entirely different perspective on how to advertise myself as a job candidate, address tough interview questions, and interact with other personality types.
- Anonymous Student Testimonial
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
From our view as a professional development office, there is a need to normalize leadership and management training for all of our biomedical graduate students, so that they are properly equipped to manage the interdependence of the workforce. Therefore, we’ve constructed a workshop series on soft skill development for our BGE students. Once students enter the workforce (or their next stage of educational training), we hope that they will initiate constructive behaviors that they’ve learned from this series. We’ve also incorporated career exploration skills (resume building, networking and interviewing) into this series. A digital (LinkedIn-shareable) Certificate in Workplace Dynamics: Leadership and Career Development was awarded upon completion of the series! Students who missed sessions were given writing assignments to complete if they still wanted their certificates. Click the link below to view and register for the upcoming series!
NOTE: Returning students in the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology MS Program (Spring 2018 entrants) are required to enroll in BCHB 810: Leadership and Career Development, which will take place in the fall. Also, students in the Biostatistics MS program will complete this series as part of their required seminar course. All other BGE students and GUMC postdocs can register for upcoming trainings by following the link above.
WoDy I: Self-Awareness and Emotional Intelligence
- Leveraging your personality into your professional interactions
- Understanding empathy and social awareness
- Aligning your motivations with your decision-making
WoDy II: Teamwork and Diversity
- Assess the impact of diversity on collaboration, creativity, and innovation
- Balance independent and interdependent thinking to broaden sources of knowledge and overcome imposter syndrome
- Review the dynamics of team development using the Bruce Tuckman’s “Orming Model of Group Development”
- Engage biases to effectively overcome obstacles toward accomplishing team goals
WoDy III: Conflict Resolution
- Introduce the importance of conflict in the workplace and describe different types of conflicts that employees are often confronted with
- Identify ways to handle conflict using the Thomas Kilmann’s Dual Concern Model of conflict resolution
- Describe methods of preventing conflicts including: time management, managing up, and appropriately giving and responding to feedback
- Use the STAR Method to structure and articulate answers to behavioral interview questions
WoDy IV: EPIC Career Strategy Course
- Keep your job application process organized by setting SMART career goals
- Explore your professional interests
- Conduct informational interviews to learn more about particular career options
- Prepare strong application materials (resume, CV, cover letter, LinkedIn profile)
- Demonstrate professionalism and value throughout job interviews
- Navigate choices related to offers that you receive