You must apply to graduate no later than 2/1 if you wish to: a) Have your diploma available at the May graduation ceremony b) Have your name and graduation information printed in the Commencement Book. This early deadline is necessitated by the production schedules of both the diplomas and Commencement Book.
You should choose May 31 date option. Your degree will still be conferred on May 18, 2018.
Yes, you can walk in the May commencement. However, your name will be read but you will not receive a diploma and you will not be listed in the commencement book. This is an option only open to Master’s students.
If you would like to walk, please let your program Director of Graduate Study (DGS)/Coordinator know as soon as you can and no later than Monday, 3/12/2018.
After February 1, you may still apply for monthly graduation by the first day of the respective month. If you do so, you will still be able to participate in the May commencement ceremony, but your diploma will not be available at that time and your graduation information will not be in the Commencement Book.
The May Commencement takes place annually in mid-May. Participation in the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences and Biomedical Graduate Education Commencement is limited to those who have been awarded degrees between July and May of the current academic year.
2018 May Commencement: Students who have been awarded degrees between July 2017 and May 2018.
If you would like to attend the May commencement, please let your program Director of Graduate Study (DGS)/Coordinator as soon as you can.
All graduates participating in Commencement are required to wear the appropriate academic regalia - consisting of gown, hood, cap, and tassel. Students showing up without regalia will not be allowed to participate in the Ceremony. Standard regalia will be available for purchase in the University Bookstore the week of Commencement (Monday – Thursday only, May 14-17, 2018 from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.) as well as over the phone (call Jostens at 1-800-548-5452 for more information).
Please note: the Bookstore will not be open early enough on Commencement Day, Friday, May 18, 2018, so please have your entire academic regalia purchased and on hand no later than Thursday, May 17, 2018. If you have any other questions about regalia, please see the Graduate School’s academic regalia webpage or contact the Georgetown University Bookstore directly.
Friday, May 18, 2018
Graduate School of Arts & Sciences and Biomedical Graduate Education Commencement Ceremony
- 7:30 a.m. Graduating students report to assigned room locations in White-Gravenor Hall, Intercultural Center (ICC), and Copley Formal Lounge in Copley Hall (allow time for transportation, traffic jams, parking, and walking to your lineup rooms).
Students should report to their assigned rooms no later than 7:30 am.
- 8:30 a.m. Graduating students process information to Healy Lawn.
- 9:00 a.m. Graduate School of Arts & Sciences and Biomedical Graduate Education Commencement Ceremony begins.
11:00 a.m. BGE Commencement Reception will begin directly after the commencement ceremony at Leavey Center Ballroom.
We ask that you remind your family and guests that they MAY NOT approach the stage during any part of the ceremonies to take photos. The time for family photographs will be at the Biomedical Graduate Education reception at the Leavey Center Ballroom immediately after the conclusion of the Commencement Ceremony.
HOW TO APPLY TO GRADUATE
- Login to MyAccess.
- From the main menu, select the Student tab
- Click on Student Records
- Click Apply to Graduate
- Select the appropriate program or degree
Dual/joint degree students will have the option of which degree they will be applying for. If a student is applying for two degrees at once (i.e. MPP/MA-ECON) the student will have to apply for each degree separately. A student may not apply for both degrees at one time.
- Select the month in which you want to graduate
- Click Continue
- Identify whether or not you will be attending the commencement ceremony
- Click Continue
- Select the name you want to appear on your diploma
If the name already listed is NOT the name you want to appear on your diploma, select "new" and enter your name as you want it to appear on your diploma. If your name has special characters (accent marks, etc.) please e-mail us.
- Click Continue
- Select the address to which you want your diploma mailed. If the address you want is not currently listed, select "New" and enter the appropriate information.
- Verify the information you have entered. If everything is correct, click "Submit Request" to complete the process.
- If you are planning to graduate in May, you may apply online at the link shown above. Please select the May 31, 2018 option. Your degree will still be conferred on May 18.
- If you are planning on applying for a master's in passing this Spring, please ensure your Student Petition for Change to Graduate Program is submitted to our office by the February 1st deadline.
More information can be found here.
If you don’t see the “Apply to Graduate” option on your MyAccess, please submit the following information to your program Director of Graduate Study (DGS)/Coordinator as soon as you can. Please note all the deadlines to apply to graduate applies to you as well.
Expected Graduation Date
Full Legal name
To change your address to where your diploma will be sent to, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your new address.
A professional photographer from GradImages will be taking pictures during May Commencement and the Biomedical Graduate Diploma Award Ceremony. These photos will be available for purchase and you will be contacted by mail after the Ceremony by GradImages on how to view/purchase photographs.
More information on the commencement photo can be found here.