Hoyas for Science
Georgetown University Biomedical Graduate Education strives for diversity, equity, and inclusion. The “Hoyas for Science” merit scholarship program was started in 2015 to advance this aim by rewarding applicants whose experience, when evaluated holistically, suggests they are uniquely able to enrich the BGE community.
Hoyas scholars receive an award that covers 20% of their tuition costs for one academic year. Scholarships will be applied each semester (maximum 2 semesters) to the student account prior to the student bill due date. Scholars must begin their program in the Fall and maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 to be awarded the 20% tuition scholarship for the Spring semester and must remain enrolled as a full-time student.
Eligible and qualified applicants will have a record of superior academic achievement, including factors such as grade point average, honors, or other designation, and demonstrate a commitment to biomedical research and graduate studies at the master’s level.
The Hoyas for Science merit scholarship is awarded to newly-admitted students in a Georgetown University Biomedical Graduate Education master’s degree program who:
- Have a record of superior academic achievement (including factors such as grade point average, honors, or other designation)
- Have submitted an admissions application to an eligible Georgetown University Biomedical Graduate Education master’s program for a start in the Fall semester
- Begin in the Fall and remain registered full-time
- Are U.S. citizens or permanent residents
The following are required components of the Hoyas for Science Scholarship Application:
- Write an essay in 1,500 words or less describing how economic, historical, cultural, institutional, or interpersonal factors have challenged your academic experience. What obstacles have you experienced and what insights have you gained in your academic journey?
- The content of this essay must be different from any other written samples included in your program application, including the Statement of Purpose.
- File Formatting Guidelines
- Have the following information at the top of the file: your name and Hoyas for Science Scholarship
- Save scholarship essay as a PDF
- Format the file name to be “First Name Last Name – Hoyas for Science Essay“
Example: Jack Bulldog would name his file as “Jack Bulldog – Hoyas for Science Essay“
If you have any questions at all regarding your Hoyas for Science application, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hoyas for Science Scholarship Application is due 14 days after submitting the program admissions application to an eligible master’s program. For example, if you submit your application on the 1st of the month, you must submit your scholarship application by midnight on the 15th of the month.