Georgetown University Biomedical Graduate Education (BGE) is committed to creating a diverse community composed of the most qualified students. BGE is pleased to announce the launch of its “Hoyas for Science” merit scholarship program. The scholarship rewards applicants whose background or experience, when evaluated holistically, suggests they are uniquely able to contribute to the diversity of the BGE community.
As part of the scholarship program, BGE may provide scholarships to newly-admitted students in the amount equal to twenty percent (20%) of tuition costs for one academic year. Scholarships will be applied to the then-current tuition rates applicable at the time the student enrolls in an eligible master’s programs. Scholarships will be applied each semester (maximum 2 semesters) to the student account prior to the student bill due date. Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 (out of 4.0) in their first semester of the master's program in order to be awarded the twenty percent (20%) tuition scholarship for the second semester and must remain enrolled as a full-time student.
Eligible and qualified applicants will have a record of superior academic achievement (including factors such as grade point average, honors, or other designation) and demonstrate a commitment to biomedical research and graduate studies at the Master’s level. Scholarship applications are only accepted from applicants who have successfully submitted their program admissions application by May 15th.
Who We Look for
The Hoyas for Science merit scholarship is awarded to newly-admitted students in a Georgetown University Biomedical Graduate Education Master's degree program who:
- Have a record of superior academic achievement (including factors such as grade point average, honors, or other designation)
- Have submitted an admissions application to an eligible master's program for a start in the Fall semester
- Intend to enroll and remain as a full-time student in the semesters in which they are receiving scholarship
- Are U.S. citizens or permanent residents
How to Apply
The following are required components of the Hoyas Scholarship Application:
- Write an essay (500 to 1,000 words) explaining how you meet one or more of the factors listed below. In your response, reflect on how you are uniquely able to contribute to the diversity of the BGE community.
Socioeconomic, cultural and/or family background
- First-generation or first-in-family to attend college
- Parents' level of education
- Level of education and income
- Region of residence
- High school or undergraduate institution attended
- Personal experiences and challenges
- Demonstrated ability to develop and support diversity and cultural understanding
The content of this essay must be different from any other written samples included in your program application, including the Statement of Purpose.
- File Formatting Guidelines
- Type your name and "Hoyas for Science Scholarship" in the header of your essay
- Save scholarship essay as a PDF
- Format the file name to be "First Name Last Name - Hoyas Essay"
Example: Jack Bulldog would name his file as "Jack Bulldog - Hoyas Essay"
The Hoyas Scholarship Application is due 14 days after submitting the program admissions application to an eligible master's program. For example, if you submit your application on the 1st of the month, you must submit your scholarship application by midnight on the 15th of the month. The Hoyas Scholarship Application portal closes on June 1st, 2019 for Fall 2019.