As a postdoctoral associate in Georgetown University Medical Center, you’re here to gain academic experience and advance your career. The Office of Postdoctoral Development & Training Grant Support is committed to enriching the postdoctoral experience through career development and community-building.
Postdoctoral organizations and programs allow you to network and build your resume.
Georgetown University Postdoctoral Association
Join the community of postdocs at Georgetown.
Academy for Transferable Management Skills
Register for our online project management training for scientists.
Georgetown Research Opportunities Workshop
Late-stage graduate students and new postdocs: Build professional skills and learn about T32 programs at BGE.
Postdoctoral Research Symposium
Postdocs: Present your research in an oral presentation or poster, and network with fellow Georgetown and MedStar postdocs.
BGE’s Office of Career Strategy & Professional Development offers programs and resources to help you prepare for the next phase in your career.
- EPIC Career Strategy Course — Register for our self-paced online course for career search resources and guidance.
- Individual Development Plan — Create a roadmap to your personal and professional goals.
- Career Advising — Schedule a practice interview or get your application materials reviewed.
- Professional Memberships — BGE partners with professional organizations to provide memberships.
- Transferable Skills Worksheet — Take stock of professional skills you’ve gained from your academic experiences.
- 12Twenty Resource Library — Log in for CV templates, interview guides, webinars and more.
- Mentor Alignment Assessment — Evaluate your fit with potential or current mentors.
- Career Opportunities — Browse curated job openings and online job boards.
We encourage you to browse these lists of external fellowship opportunities:
- Johns Hopkins postdoctoral funding list (updated regularly)
- ProFellow Fellowship Board (create a free account to view)
- National Postdoctoral Association International Fellowship List
- Science/AAAS grants and funding resources
- Office of Postdoctoral Development funding newsletter archive
Visit the Office of Staff & Faculty Benefits’ Postdoctoral Fellows page to find discounts, wellness resources, and information about the health and other benefits available to you.
Featured Postdoctoral Fellows
Martha Gay, Ph.D.
“During my postdoc experience in Dr. Jill Smith’s lab, my scientific acumen is continuously being challenged and enriched.”
Amanda Schneeweis, Ph.D.
“The unfettered research grant will allow me to take supplemental courses in areas I have always wanted to expand my skillset into.”
Randi M. Williams, Ph.D., MPH
“I learned the importance of outreach and education to underrepresented and underserved communities to address barriers to cancer prevention and early detection.”
Liz Salm, Ph.D., is the Director of Graduate and Postdoctoral Training & Development for Biomedical Graduate Education (BGE) at Georgetown University. Dr. Salm directs the BGE Office of Career Strategy & Professional Development, including programming around career and personal development for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. She also meets with students and postdocs for one-on-one advising on career exploration and planning, the job search, and interview preparation. In her role directing the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Training & Development, she assists administratively with current and future federal training grants at BGE.
Dr. Salm graduated from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities with a B.S. in Neuroscience. She took interest in support for research trainees during her Ph.D. training in the Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program (INP) at Yale University. While serving as chair of the Yale Graduate Student Assembly, she observed the daily lives and outcomes of other graduate students across the university and saw many opportunities for improvement. Dr. Salm decided to address these interests in INP by developing a mentoring program to ease the transition of incoming students to graduate school and support them in their career exploration.
Dr. Salm looks forward to helping master’s students, Ph.D. students and postdoctoral fellows at Georgetown to determine and achieve their personal and professional goals.