Note to all students and postdocs
Welcome to Georgetown! Your 12Twenty accounts have been created but you need to activate your account before scheduling advising appointments. If you have any trouble signing up, send us an email at email@example.com.
Ready to begin your job search? Schedule an appointment with the Office of Career Strategy & Professional Development (CSPD) to prepare for job interviews, have a mock job interview, practice negotiating offers, and review your resume. Appointments are scheduled through our 12Twenty Platform.
Appointments need to be scheduled 24 hours before a meeting. If you need to cancel an appointment, please cancel your appointment online and select a new time from the available time slots on the 12Twenty Platform.
- Login to the 12Twenty Platform.
- Click on the Appointments tab to the left. You will then see a calendar with available slots indicated in light grey boxes.
- Click an appointment block that has a time in it that works for your schedule (you’ll be able to specify the time in a moment). Then click Book Appointment.
- For Appointment Type, select why you want to see us, so we can prepare for the meeting.
- You will now have the flexibility to book a 30 minute or 1 hour appointment slot and specify the meeting time.
- Note the location of the meeting. Keep in mind that our virtual career consultant, Deborah Cohen, meets online, which gives you even more flexibility as she’s got evening slots available in addition to midday!
- If you have documents that you want us to look at beforehand (resumes, cover letters, personal statements, or whatever else), upload them in the Attachments section. Click Choose Files and upload the file. We prefer MS WORD because it’s easier to make edits. However, we do understand if you are more comfortable uploading PDFs. You can also edit your meeting slot later if you need more time to finish your documents. Please be sure any relevant documents are uploaded at least 24 hours in advance.
- Click Book Appointment and you’re all done! You’ll be able to see your appointment in the My Appointment tab at the top. You’ll also receive a confirmation email prompting you to put the appointment on your google calendar. Please add the appointment to your calendar because you may not remember that you made it!
- If you need to cancel, login to 12Twenty, go to Appointments, click on the My Appointments tab, click your appointment and press Cancel Appointment. You can then choose from another appointment on the calendar.
- DO NOT book more than one appointment at a time. At our meeting, we will determine the need for a subsequent appointment, at which point you will be approved to book another appointment on the platform.
The following are descriptions of the appointment types. Please review what is covered in each appointment type before scheduling your advising appointment with CSPD in the 12Twenty Platform.
Discussions of long-term goals and professional interests.
External Fellowship (For doctoral students/trainees)
Discussion of external funding opportunities and where to find information that will help you generate and submit your proposals. We do not provide advice on securing on-campus employment (Please visit HoyaWorks for student employment opportunities). We also do not provide advice on finding scholarships to defray tuition costs. Though if relevant opportunities are presented to us, we do make them available on our jobs board in 12Twenty.
Graduate School Application
Discussion of the PhD program application process, components of the personal statement, and interview preparation (including how to discuss your research experience).
Individual Development Plan Consultation (For doctoral students/trainees)
Discussion of how to set short and long-term goals during your scientific traineeship. Common additional discussion topics also include maximizing mentor relationships, aligning your goals with your professional plan, and articulating transferable skills.
Job Interview Preparation
Tips are provided on how to prepare for various types of professional employment interviews. Before scheduling this meeting, please review templates that are available in the resource library.
Medical/Health Professions School Application
This appointment type is for very general questions about the medical school application process, as our office does not offer formal premedical advising. We also do not review activities section essays, but we are happy to discuss your professional experiences with you and help you set goals for yourself to ensure that your professional experiences best align with the program that you are applying to. We are also happy to help you prepare for and practice for medical school interviews!
Mock Job Interview
For this meeting type, we generate general interview questions based on the type of position that you applied for, and we ask you questions in a real interview setting. Feedback on your performance is provided during the meeting and a complete feedback form is provided via email. Some interview types that we do not provide mock interviews for include: consulting case interviews, graduate school interviews (though we are happy to talk through how you describe your own research in the PhD Program Interview Preparation meeting type).
Congratulations on getting the offer. We can discuss the components of the offer and give you tips on what questions to ask next. Disclaimer – we do not provide legal counsel!
On Campus Interviews
Due to COVID-19 we are currently not conducting on-campus interviews. Please log into 12Twenty to schedule an appointment with your advisor.
Personal Statement Review
We will review and provide feedback on your personal statement for PhD program or Medical/Health Professions School Applications. At least one week before your appointment, please attach your personal statement in your appointment block or send it to the advisor that you are meeting with. Otherwise, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to review it in time for our meeting! We will provide feedback on your initial draft and one additional draft after you’ve incorporated our initial feedback. We will review one round of secondary medical school essays or a draft of your followup letter of interest under this appointment type as well.
Recruiting 1 on 1
This appointment is reserved for students who are interviewing with perspective employers. Prior to scheduling this meeting, a Resume Book will be available from employers on 12Twenty. Once students have applied and are chosen for a interview. Students will then log into 12Twenty to schedule an appointment and set a date for the interview with the employer.
Resume and Cover Letter Review
We will review your resume and/or cover letter with you. Prior to scheduling this meeting, please review templates that are available in the resource library. Please be sure to upload your document(s) when creating the appointment.
PhD Program Interview Preparation
We will review typical structures of graduate school interview visits as well as how you can maximally prepare to engage in dynamic scientific discussions with faculty on the admissions committees.
Before making an appointment for resume/CV or cover letter review, please go to the Resource Library in 12Twenty to review the provided templates, especially if this is your first draft. We do not require you to use our templates, but if you find that your document is organized very differently from our templates, consider using our templates.
Alums can reactivate their CSPD 12Twenty accounts by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’d be happy to add you so that you can utilize the system and book appointments. Please indicate your graduate program, graduation year, and NetID. We look forward to reconnecting!
I walked into the CSPD office with a half-finished resume and cover letter. Not only did the CSPD career advisors provide so much feedback on improving my documents, but they also guided me through how to network and interview during the job search process. You can count on these professionals!
– Anonymous Student
Physiology, Special Master’s Program
In one meeting, a CSPD advisor answered so many of my questions across a range of topics related to my resume and job applications, interviews, and even just figuring out what exactly it is that I’d like to pursue in the future. She really reassured me that I’m not behind in this process, but also helped me to establish the next steps I should be taking as I think about graduation. I feel confident that the entire CSPD office will continue to support and direct me as I finish my studies and enter the workforce!
– Anonymous Student
Biohazardous Threat Agents & Emerging Infectious Diseases