Individual Development Plan
An Individual Development Plan (IDP) is your roadmap for identifying your academic and professional goals though Assessment, setting a plan of Action, and tracking your Accomplishments. The BGE Office of Career Strategy & Professional Development (CSPD) has created an IDP form to help you guide yourself through your professional journey.
When creating an IDP, it is critical that you meet with your mentor to receive input and feedback. The IDP form includes some guidance around your responsibilities and your mentor’s throughout this process.
Our office is also happy to discuss your IPD with you! Once you have completed your IDP, please upload your IDP into the 12Twenty Platform when you schedule your career advising meeting so we can review it in preparation for our discussion.
- The IDP Guide provides examples of actions that can help you achieve your goals, and results that you may expect to see as you advance in your professional development.
- AAAS offers a comprehensive self-assessment tool that you can use to track additional skills.
- The CSPD office is another resource available to you for discussing your IDP. Make an appointment for an Individual Development Plan Consultation through the 12Twenty Platform. Visit our Career Advising page for instruction on how to create a 12Twenty Platform account, and how to make an appointment.
IDPs will only be reviewed by the career office staff member who is scheduled to meet with you.
- Log in to the 12Twenty Platform.
- Under the Background tab, click Edit in the Personal section.
- A page will pop up where you will see the following text at the bottom: “I have completed and uploaded an Individual Development Plan for the year.”
- In the dropdown to the right, select the current year, then hit Update.
- Click the Application Materials tab.
- Scroll down to Other Documents and select “Add Another Document.”
- In the pop-up window, next to “Other Document Name” please type IDP, first name, last name and the current year, such as “IDPJohnBrown2017.”
- Upload your document, then hit Save. This section of the website only takes PDFs, so if you aren’t using our form above, make sure you convert yours to PDF.
- Assess Your Skill Set
Take our Self-Assessment to help you identify which goals you would like to develop this upcoming year.
- Create an Action Plan
Determine three goals you would like to achieve across the upcoming year, and fill them out in the Action Plan.
- Solicit Feedback
Meet with your mentor(s) to receive feedback. This can be done throughout the process of creating your Action Plan.
- Reflect on Accomplishments
At the end of the academic year, fill in your ledger with accomplishments you made during the year.
- Be Sure to Update Your IDP Every Year!