At BGE, spend authorizations (SAs) are required for travel expenses and purchases made using personal funds to be reimbursed by the University. The three-step process for SAs looks like this:
- Pre-Approval: Spend Authorization
- Purchase: Personal Funds
- Reconciliation: Expense Report
Spend Authorization and Expense Report Training: Find “Expense Reports in GMS” webinars on the UIS Training at Georgetown page.
1. Pre-Approval: Spend Authorization
To allow sufficient time for the approval process, please submit requisitions well in advance (at least 5 business days) prior to the planned purchase. Submit the spend authorization through GMS using the Expenses worklet. Be sure to follow the Purchasing Checklist for a list of needed documentation and information.
- Be sure to attach to the spend authorization your current semester’s signed Teaching Adjunct Letter.
GMS Report: Type in “GU Find Spend Authorizations” in the search bar in GMS, put your program’s PG code in the Organization field, and run for the appropriate date range.
2. Purchase: Personal Funds
When the spend authorization is approved, you will be notified by a GMS notification email. At this time, you may use your personal funds to make the purchase.
3. Reconciliation: Expense Report
Requests for reimbursement must be submitted no later than 60 days after the last day of travel per University Policy FA-550.
Once the purchase has been made, it will need to be reconciled using an expense report through the GMS Expenses worklet > Create Expense Report action. Follow the wizard to link the purchase to the approved SA and enter the correct worktags.
- Since you are using your own funds, you will add the expense lines manually on the next screen. Click Add, then follow the wizard to enter the purchase details.
- For ALL purchases, upload the itemized receipt(s) under the attachments. GMS will not accept an expense report without a receipt.
GMS Report: Type in “GU Find Expense Reports” in the search bar in GMS, put your program’s PG code in the Organization field, and run for the appropriate date range.