Note to Incoming Spring 2018 Students
All incoming Spring 2018 student accounts are now active in the 12Twenty platform. Please register, by following the quick sign-up instructions, using your email@example.com email address. If you are not in the system (12Twenty would indicate that your email address "does not exist in your school's system"), email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before making an appointment for resume/CV or cover letter review, please go to the Resource Library in 12Twenty to review the provided templates, especially if this is your first draft. We do not require you to use our templates, but if you find that your document is organized very differently from our templates, consider using our templates.
Schedule an Appointment with CSPD
The following are steps are after you have already signed up or logged-in to 12Twenty.
Notes before booking appointments: you won't be able to sign up for appointments less than 24 hours before a meeting. This is important because we need to plan our days too! If you are trying to schedule within a 24 hour window and you see an available appointment slot, 12twenty will return an error but you can email that CSPD advisor and see if they are still available. Also, if you make an appointment with us on the 12Twenty platform and need to change it at the last minute because, you know, stuff happens, please cancel your appointment online and pick a new time from the available time slots on the 12Twenty platform.
- Click on the Appointments tab to the left
- Choose Caleb, Caroline or Julia as a Career Adviser
- For Appointment Type, select why you want to see us for so we can prepare for the meeting. Visit our Choosing the Right Appointment Type page and review what is covered in each appointment type before selecting your appointment type! Please note that External Fellowships and Individual Development Plan Consultation appointment types are for doctoral students/trainees.
- For block status, click Available so that you can see which time slots we have for you to choose from.
- If you have an industry that you are particularly focused on, choose one from the Focus Industry drop down menu. It'll help us gather relevant materials before we meet with you. You can also click All if you're unsure, or click Other if you are applying to other educational programs.
- Click Get Results. You should see some light grey blocks in the calendar on the screen. Those are the times that we are available that week to meet. Click on one that works for your schedule. Keep in mind that another career adviser may have slots that work better for your schedule. So repeat the process with another Career Adviser if you need more meeting time options. Some slots are 30 minutes. Some are an hour. Pick the time block that works best for your schedule.
- In the little screen that pops up, verify that the date and time are correct and that you are meeting with the person who you'd like to meet with.
- Click Book Appointment.
- Confirm your preferred appointment type
- In the Time field, confirm the start time.
- If you have documents that you want us to look at beforehand (resumes, cover letters, personal statements, or whatever else), upload them in the Attachments section. Click Choose Files and upload the file. We prefer MS WORD because it's easier to make edits. However we do understand if you are more comfortable uploading PDFs. You can also bring hard copies to the meeting and not upload anything here. It's up to you. But if you give us documents before the meeting, we can look at them and give you more thoughtful feedback.
- Click Book Appointment and you're all done! You'll be able to see your appointment in the My Appointment tab at the top. You'll also receive a confirmation email prompting you to put the appointment on your google calendar.
- If you need to cancel, login to 12Twenty, go to Appointments, click on the My Appointments tab, click your appointment and press Cancel Appointment. You can then choose from another appointment in the calendar.
- DO NOT book more than one appointment at a time. At our meeting, we will determine the need for a subsequent appointment, at which point you will be approved to book another appointment on the platform.
Alums that aren't already in the CSPD 12Twenty Platform (students that graduated prior to Dec 2016) can feel free to email us at email@example.com and we'd be happy to add you so that you can utilize the system.
I walked into the CSPD office with a half-finished resume and cover letter. Not only did the CSPD career advisors provide so much feedback on improving my documents, but they also guided me through how to network and interview during the job search process. You can count on these professionals!
- Anonymous Student
Physiology, Special Master's Program
In one meeting, a CSPD advisor answered so many of my questions across a range of topics related to my resume and job applications, interviews, and even just figuring out what exactly it is that I'd like to pursue in the future. She really reassured me that I'm not behind in this process, but also helped me to establish the next steps I should be taking as I think about graduation. I feel confident that the entire CSPD office will continue to support and direct me as I finish my studies and enter the workforce!
- Anonymous Student
Biohazardous Threat Agents & Emerging Infectious Diseases