Note to all BGE students and GUMC postdocs: we have partnered with DFCConsulting to increase our appointment slots. Deborah F. Cohen (DFC) has over 20 years of experience providing career advising to biomedical students and trainees- from preparing for job applications to applying to advanced degree programs. You will find lots of her virtual appointment slots at flexible times in the 12Twenty platform. She is excited to meet with you! See below for instructions on signing up for your account and booking an appointment!
Before making an appointment for resume/CV or cover letter review, please go to the Resource Library in 12Twenty to review the provided templates, especially if this is your first draft. We do not require you to use our templates, but if you find that your document is organized very differently from our templates, consider using our templates.
Schedule an Appointment with CSPD
The following are steps are after you have already signed up or logged-in to 12Twenty.
Notes before booking appointments: you won't be able to sign up for appointments less than 24 hours before a meeting. This is important because we need to plan our days too! If you are trying to schedule within a 24 hour window and you see an available appointment slot, 12twenty will return an error but you can email that CSPD advisor and see if they are still available. Also, if you make an appointment with us on the 12Twenty platform and need to change it at the last minute because, you know, stuff happens, please cancel your appointment online and pick a new time from the available time slots on the 12Twenty platform.
- Click on the Appointments tab to the left. You will then see a calendar with available slots indicated in light grey boxes.
- Click an appointment block that has a time in it that works for your schedule (you'll be able to specify the time in a moment). Then click Book Appointment.
- For Appointment Type, select why you want to see us, so we can prepare for the meeting. Visit our Choosing the Right Appointment Type page and review what is covered in each appointment type before selecting your appointment type! Please note that External Fellowships and Individual Development Plan Consultation appointment types are for doctoral students and postdoc fellows.
- You will now have the flexibility to book a 30 minute or 1 hour appointment slot and specify the meeting time.
- Note the location of the meeting. Keep in mind that our virtual career consultant, Deborah Cohen, meets online, which gives you even more flexibility as she's got evening slots available in addition to midday!
- If you have documents that you want us to look at beforehand (resumes, cover letters, personal statements, or whatever else), upload them in the Attachments section. Click Choose Files and upload the file. We prefer MS WORD because it's easier to make edits. However we do understand if you are more comfortable uploading PDFs. You can also bring hard copies to the meeting and not upload anything here (or email them before your virutal meetings with Deborah Cohen to email@example.com). But if you upload your documents before the meeting, we can look at them and give you more thoughtful feedback.
- Click Book Appointment and you're all done! You'll be able to see your appointment in the My Appointment tab at the top. You'll also receive a confirmation email prompting you to put the appointment on your google calendar. Please add the appointment to your calendar because you may not remember that you made it!
- If you need to cancel, login to 12Twenty, go to Appointments, click on the My Appointments tab, click your appointment and press Cancel Appointment. You can then choose from another appointment in the calendar.
- DO NOT book more than one appointment at a time. At our meeting, we will determine the need for a subsequent appointment, at which point you will be approved to book another appointment on the platform.
Alums that aren't already in the CSPD 12Twenty Platform (students that graduated prior to Dec 2016) can feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'd be happy to add you so that you can utilize the system.
I walked into the CSPD office with a half-finished resume and cover letter. Not only did the CSPD career advisors provide so much feedback on improving my documents, but they also guided me through how to network and interview during the job search process. You can count on these professionals!
- Anonymous Student
Physiology, Special Master's Program
In one meeting, a CSPD advisor answered so many of my questions across a range of topics related to my resume and job applications, interviews, and even just figuring out what exactly it is that I'd like to pursue in the future. She really reassured me that I'm not behind in this process, but also helped me to establish the next steps I should be taking as I think about graduation. I feel confident that the entire CSPD office will continue to support and direct me as I finish my studies and enter the workforce!
- Anonymous Student
Biohazardous Threat Agents & Emerging Infectious Diseases